Wednesday 10 September 2014

nipper, gnasher,and gnawing

Here i am, 4.30 a.m awake and downstairs!!,i have given up trying to sleep,and enjoying a very nice cup of tea! I am British a cup of tea is essential to our everyday existence!!!, (and endless meaningless small talk about the weather!! !!!)i am hearing no more noises from the Mice (downstairs anyway) they have literally "taken the bait"( poison) i put down last week!!...I was hearing some gnawing sounds in my room though earlier, so that battle is not over quite yet...
Some one who is suffering from battle scars of Life is Nipper, my ten year old Yorshire terrier,i was told when i bought him that he was a pedigree,and "Papers were to follow", still waiting for those!! i have found in my 20 years of keeping Yorkie's that the pedigree ones only tend to last 10-13 years,the ones who lived longest, Biggles 16 and half years, and Star 17 and a half years were only half Pedigree, from Toto their Dad, he died at 13 quite old for a yorkie, but not as old as his pups Star and Biggles!
So Nipper is not doing well, he had a dose of the runs, (cant spell the proper name,and my spell check does not work) and vomiting,the vet has given him some anti-inflamatory tablets for his bow legs,which i suspected made him ill,, i really thought he was going to die on saturday he was so ill he could hardly walk, and i know if i had taken him to the vet they would have put him down,he is still very wobbly on his legs and tends to go sideways like a crab sometimes!!, i know that some people would call me cruel for letting him carry on in this state, but i just think that my dogs have been so loyal to me why should i abandon them when all they need is a bit of nursing,? i have had to shower him because he was getting pooh caught round his bottom, but today he has managed to do it outside cleanly with none hanging on!I have to carry him up and down stairs,because his legs could go and he would fall down them all, when Star was near her end i slept downstairs for two months because she couldn't manage the stairs,i was worried that her chest cancer was back,because she would not let me see her chest, and felt guilty because i hadn't taken her to the vet, because i knew they would insist on putting her down, but when she died,i saw that she was not covered in cancer on her nipples, a big relief!! she had just died from old age,17 and a half, having had a pup,Gizmo, breast cancer, a Mammary strip,with only two nipples left,(she managed to feed Gizmo too,) and was Neutered at age 10, after she presented us with surprise Pups!(Joe came into my room screaming "there's a rat in my Bed", after i calmed i him down, it was 4.am, i went into his room to investigate,and a very sheepish Star looked at me with a Pup!!! My only regrets with my Dogs is that i didn't walk them enough i am trying to do better now though as Husky's need to have exercise,so do all dogs though,we take them up to Tashies( we used to call Gnasher,like the cat in the Bash street kids comic) where there is a huge field for them to run in, the Grass is quite long now though, and its funny to see the smaller yorkies bouncy like lambs to see where they are going!! What lesson is the Holy Spirit teaching me through all this? is it that Human beings should be as loyal as Dogs?!! or that we should live up to our responsibilities...not sure..

No comments: